Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Job Search


Back in college, I attended a lecture given by Stephen R. Covey - long before he figured out seven ways to become highly successful. In that lecture, he talked about being proactive and discussed how a student could be proactive in his job hunting. He recommended a book that would help in that process.

So, I not only took his advice, but I also resolved that I would use that proactive process on him. I purchased the recommended book, read it carefully, and applied it's principles and practices to land me a job with the Covey Organization. I was responsible for the planning and promotion of a seminar Mr. Covey did with featured speakers: management guru Tom Peters, cookie queen Debbie Fields, and legendary coach LaVell Edwards.

I've since moved on but have fond memories of the whole proactive experience. Having watched Mr. Covey's success over the years, I've wondered what my life would have been like if I had stayed with his very young company (perhaps ten employees at the time).

Well, Microsoft-type riches aren't for everybody....

And the book? What Color is Your Parachute? by Richard Nelson Bolles

The best book on how to find a job - colorfully written - and never more timely than in today's economic environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment